Electrical Safety Checklist
Here is a checklist you can use to help you make your home safe:
Electric outlets are not overloaded with lots of plugs.
- Electric cords are in good condition.
- Electric cords do not run under rugs, furniture legs or near hot appliances.
- Electric appliances are used away from water.
- People carry appliances by the handle, not the cord.
- A multipurpose fire extinguisher is kept in the house.
- Electric appliances that can get hot, such as toasters heaters and light bulbs, are kept away from things that can burn.
- Safety caps are inserted in outlets when small children are around.
- Small appliances are turned off and/or unplugged when people leave home.
- All extension cords, lights and appliances used outdoors are labeled for outdoor use.
Click on the Electrical Safety Foundation International link below for more information about electrical safety.